A Forum for railways based in the state of Victoria, Australia.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Race abuse claim on train

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Metro Transit

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Race abuse claim on train   Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:49 am

Quote :
Matt Cunningham Herald Sun, June 01, 2007 12:00am

Quote :
A JEWISH man was racially abused then assaulted by a group of men on a Melbourne train.

Police are investigating the attack on Danny Pollak, 27, of Caulfield, by six men, all aged about 20, on Tuesday afternoon.

Mr Pollak said the men called him a "f---ing Jew" and yelled out "we like your hat" in reference to his yarmulke, before hitting him in the head with a newspaper and trying to trip him over.

He said he boarded the Melbourne-bound train at North Melbourne about 5.30pm when the men, who had olive skin, began shouting abuse at him.

"As soon as I got on they started making anti-Semitic remarks like 'f---ing Jew' and 'we like your hat'," Mr Pollak said.

The young father said he tried to ignore the men but they surrounded him.

"I kept reading the paper, then a guy in front of me started making unfriendly bodily gestures," he said.

"He was grabbing his groin and pulsing it at me.

"A minute or so later I felt a whack on the back of my head and a newspaper fell on the seat next to me."

Mr Pollak said he tried to move away from the group, but one of the men tried to trip him as he walked to the other end of the carriage.

He said he got off the train at Flinders St Station and quickly moved away from the men.

"I was really scared for my safety," he said.

Mr Pollak said he had only been at North Melbourne station because he had accidentally caught the wrong train home from his city office job.

He reported the incident to Caulfield police on Wednesday.

A police spokesman said police had asked Connex to provide CCTV footage of the incident.

The attack comes months after another Jewish man, Menachem Vorchheimer, was abused by a group of country footballers.

Jewish groups were outraged by the latest attack.

B'nai B'rith Anti-Defamation Commission CEO Manny Waks said the behaviour was inexcusable.

"It is reprehensible and of great concern that such attacks are becoming all too common in this generally peaceful community," he said.

"We do not want to get to a situation like in some parts of Europe where Jews fear wearing traditional Jewish items such as a yarmulke as it may make them a target of anti-Semitism."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AzN_DJ
Station Worker
Station Worker

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Race abuse claim on train   Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:22 am

First thing i would like to point out that there is an emphasis that he is jewish. I feel that this is being somewhat racial on behald of the media.

That aside, this is why we need to invest more money in securing the railway with guards. Rather than them fining people for not having tickets (they can do that if there is nothing elst to do) they should be out there to help with cases of abuse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metro Transit

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2007-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Race abuse claim on train   Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:37 am

They are suposed to do all of that, providing a safe environment for passengers, upholding the rules and regulations set buy Connex and the DoI, preventing and detering crime, arresting those that commit offences and providing customer service where needed.

So they dont just fine people for not having a/or correct ticket.

Metro.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AzN_DJ
Station Worker
Station Worker

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Race abuse claim on train   Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:50 am

Metro Transit wrote:
They are suposed to do all of that, providing a safe environment for passengers, upholding the rules and regulations set buy Connex and the DoI, preventing and detering crime, arresting those that commit offences and providing customer service where needed.

So they dont just fine people for not having a/or correct ticket.

Metro.
If that is the case, then there must not be enough around. Most are standing at Box Hill when there are barriers anyway. Is Box Hill like a main crime spot?
Maybe AOs and victoria police should combine. That would be more sensible I would imagine - allowing the police to take care of the public transport safety issues and fining fare evaders.
EDIT: Why am I a station cleaner?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Race abuse claim on train   

Back to top Go down

Race abuse claim on train
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Rail Victoria :: Discussions :: Melbourne (Suburban)-
Jump to: